Fidelity bank banner Bayelsa State banner
Crisis looms in Bayelsa as government withholds workers salaries

By News Express on 17/04/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 514

•Governor  Dickson
•Governor Dickson

 

An industrial dispute is imminent following fears of job losses occasioned by downsizing exercise embarked on by the Bayelsa government to trim down its wage bill put at N3.9 billion monthly.

The Bayelsa chapters of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress and affiliated unions have opposed the suspension of 3,403 workers in the ongoing public service reforms.

The Head of Service of Bayelsa, Rev Thomas Zidafomo directed that salaries of 222 staff of Bayelsa owned media houses and 3,181 non-teaching staff in the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) be suspended.

Zidafomo, in a letter dated Apri 6, 2018, directed that the withheld salaries of the affected workers listed as ‘excess workers’ be remitted to the Accountant General of Bayelsa.

The Unions, in a statement signed by John Ndiomu and Tari Dounana, State Chairmen of NLC and TUC, urged the Bayelsa government to reverse its decision to withhold the workers’ salaries.

The labour noted that withholding of staff salaries of workers listed for redeployment was strange, and urged the government to carry out the reforms in compliance with Public Service Rules.

“Labour wishes to draw government’s attention to the ongoing public service reforms, it is proper to note that redeployment of staff is a norm but stoppage of salaries is not in line with civil service rules.

“Labour therefore calls on government to review its directive on the stoppage of salaries as it is against the public service rules and pay the affected staff their salaries to forestall breach of industrial peace.

“We also wish to remind the government of its pledge that the reforms would not lead to job losses and ask that it abides by it,” The joint NLC/TUC statement read in part.

The Non Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) SUBEB, on Monday, urged the government to reverse its decision which affected over 3181 non-teaching staff within 14 days or face a strike.

The Bayelsa chapter Chairman Geku Ebiwari in a statement issued after an emergency congress of the union noted that the workers were not under any trial to warrant the suspension of their salaries.

Ebiwari said that if the exercise was a redeployment as claimed in the circular, there would be no need to stop workers’ salaries.

However, Mr Daniel Iworiso-Markson, Bayelsa Commissioner for Information said that there was no going back in the reforms, adding that the government would pursue it to a logical conclusion

He maintained that the reforms are necessary to “rid the public service of an excess workforce and in the process deliver a leaner, smarter and productive workforce that is better equipped to serve the state.”

Iworiso-Markson, who spoke against the backdrop of concerns by the affected staff and labour leaders, allayed fears that they had been sacked, explaining that the affected workers would be trained and deployed to other areas of need.

According to him, those found unsuitable in the public service will be eased out with financial assistance to start off their businesses.

He further said that Gov Seriake Dickson is scheduled to receive the report of the state Public Service Reforms Committee headed by the Deputy Governor, Rear Admiral Gboribiogha Jonah (Rtd), on Tuesday.

The submission of the report is preparatory to a meeting between the governor and leaders of the organized labour on Wednesday.

Iworiso-Markson explained that the meeting “will be used to discuss more on the reforms and some of the steps taken by the government as it begins the holistic implementation of the reforms.

A committee set up by Gov Seriake Dickson on staffing and Funding of MDAs had compiled the list of surplus staff which is being released in batches.

Source News Express

Posted 17/04/2018 12:37:59 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25 minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...

 

You may also like...
The Igbos: Why are they still Biafrans?

Ex-commissioner accuses El-Rufai administration of mischief, dismisses claim...

Nigerian stabbed in South Africa

Voter apathy mars Anambra Central senatorial rerun election...

Royal father endorses star artist Alesh Akeem’s ‘10...

FG to vigorously implement policies to help Nigeria...

47 vehicles seized from ex-Perm Sec bought with...

Dangote Cement extends market dominance

No land for cattle colony in Delta —...

Rivers PDP declares Senator Magnus Abe a security...

Nasarawa Governor appoints sole administrators for 11 LGAs...

Agriculture: Amaechi’s antidote to the menace of Boko...

 

Latest News BREAKING: Aregbesola’s Chief of Staff floors Reps Deputy Speaker, others to emerge Osun APC guber candidate 2019: All set for Atiku's declaration for president Court fines hospital N.5m for detaining baby’s corpse, parents UNN set to export ginger to USA 2019 election: 8 PDP governorship aspirants opt for consensus in Kaduna Violence, late arrival of election materials characterise Osun APC guber primaries Forex: CBN flags off sale of Chinese Yuan Gunmen storm Zamfara market; kill 2, injure others NAF fighter aircraft neutralises fleeing Boko Haram terrorists Ekiti: Group slams HURIWA over call for sack of INEC Chairman South African police officers to face trial for killing Nigerian FG, States, LGs share N668.898b for May

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (363,166 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (359,010 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (287,411 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (235,861 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (215,148 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (212,871 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (186,952 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (168,896 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (156,523 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (153,189 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (147,964 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (139,124 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (52) Business & Economy (3,363) Business Verdict (46) Columnists (889) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (516) Features (616) Global Business Monitor (286) International (2,148) Interview (157) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (127) News (37,318) Opinion (1,024) Pidgin (10) Politics (5,627) Religion (787) Sports (1,612) Stock Watch (33) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

Nigerian detainees send SOS from Osama prison

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement