Fidelity bank banner Bayelsa State banner
Meningitis death toll now 813: Health Minister

By News Express on 26/04/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 760

•Health Minister, Prof. Isaac Adewole.
•Health Minister, Prof. Isaac Adewole.

Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, has confirmed that the death toll from the meningitis outbreak in the country has risen to 813.

Prof. Adewole confirmed this on Wednesday after the Federal Executive Council Meeting presided over by vice president Yemi Osinbajo.

His statement comes as Nigerian Health authorities and international aid organisations attempt to tackle the surge in infections.

Earlier this month, the death toll stood at 300. But in less than three weeks, it has now risen to above 800, a cause for worry among health agencies.

The outbreak currently affects five states — Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi and Niger all in the country’s northern region.

The government on Wednesday approved a house-to-house search in northern Nigeria to identify those afflicted with meningitis for vaccination and treatment.

The West African nation in April launched a mass vaccination campaign as part of its emergency response to the outbreak in its northwestern states, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has said.

The NCDC said the infection killed 33 people in 2016.

More than 2,000 people died from an outbreak of the disease in Nigeria in 2009, with basic healthcare limited in rural parts of the country, where most people live on less than $2 a day, despite the country’s huge oil resources.

Meningitis is the inflammation of tissue surrounding the brain and spinal cord which can be caused by viral or bacterial infections. It spreads mainly through kisses, sneezes, coughs and in close living quarters.

The NCDC is working with the World Health Organisation, the U.N’s Children’s Fund and Medecins Sans Frontieres, also known as Doctors Without Borders, to try to control the outbreak.

This current outbreak of Meningitis is the worst outbreak ever experienced in Nigeria since 2009.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control said enhanced surveillance activities have so far contributed to increased case finding and more timely reporting.

The Nigeria Medical Association has accused the government of negligence in its handling of the outbreak.

The medical association said the government failed to prepare despite warnings, and has still not responded appropriately to the epidemic. (TV360 Nigeria)

Source News Express

Posted 26/04/2017 9:32:31 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Senate begins investigations into operations of Tincan, Seme...

8 banks sealed off over debts

Lagos Oba freed after 20 days in kidnappers’...

Senate investigates omission of Bayelsa from ambassadorial list...

Oil thieves kidnap 9 policemen

Delta moves to check proliferation of private schools...

Deadly floods hit America, some streets turned into...

26 arrested during minimum wage protests in New...

IGP moves to check extrajudicial killings by police...

MOSOP condemns military invasion of Ogoni communities, demands...

Act now to avert economic recession, analysts urge...

Panel report on killings during Rivers re-run election,...

 

Latest News Next President: The right man for the job, By Chima Nwafo Hate Speech Bill: Issues and worries, By Jerome-Mario Utomi 18-year-old boy rapes 7 Ekiti Varsity students Communications Minister, Adebayo Shittu, in certificate scandal Lawyer ambushes Python Dance 3 in court •Sues Buhari, Buratai, Malami, others Buhari, governors may clash with Tinubu over Ambode Oshiomhole, APC bow to governors, make U-turn on indirect primaries Delta establishes 6 IDP camps •To forward 2019 budget proposals to DTHA soon Southern, Northern leaders express fears over 2019 polls Plateau women protest half naked over military action Businessman sentenced 140 years for forging foreign cheques Stella Oduah dumps APGA, announces return to PDP

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (395,132 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (376,079 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (307,683 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (250,148 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (231,661 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (221,340 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (199,563 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (181,195 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (165,273 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (163,143 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (157,833 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (146,652 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (62) Business & Economy (3,613) Business Verdict (52) Columnists (932) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (547) Features (652) Global Business Monitor (301) International (2,415) Interview (164) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (143) News (39,022) Opinion (1,109) Pidgin (11) Politics (6,664) Religion (869) Sports (1,697) Stock Watch (33) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

I am Imo State's New Governor -- Okorocha's son-in-law Uche Nwosu...

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement